Marijuana Hash | Marijuana hash plant
Marijuana hash recipes comes from trichomes, the ripe, resinous gland heads that line the surface of cannabis plants.
Processes to achieve resin separation have been practiced for centuries,
however, the rapid rise of cannabis legalization in the Western world has brought new methods in hash preparation that are sweeping legal markets by storm. hash vs marijuana.
Different types of Marijuana Hash
With the reemergence of cannabis enthusiasm in the 1960s, hashish found its way back into the limelight. Countries such as Nepal, Afghanistan, and Morocco saw an increase of hash exportation into Western countries. At this time the varieties of hash imported were old world varieties,
mainly hard-pressed, brick-like solids made from heat and pressure. how to make hash from marijuana leaves
It wasn’t until the late 1980s when gland separation was introduced to the West through a machine called the “master sifter.” According to Ed Rosenthal and his book Beyond Buds,
this breakthrough machine by John Gallardi used vibration to separate the trichome gland heads from the plant material.
During this time, Neil Schumacher and Rob Clarke began experimenting with water extraction methods,
the early precursor for what we now refer to as ice water hash, or bubble hash. The equipment used to popularize the ice water extraction method was first introduced to the public in 1997 by Reinhard C. Deep at the High Times Cannabis Cup. His patents would later be adapted and modified by Mila Jansen with her pollinator isolation bags. how to make marijuana hash oil
This design would be further improve upon by Canadian hash enthusiast Marcus “Bubbleman” Richardson
and his popular line of BubbleBags,one of only a handful of companies worldwide who have leased permissions to use methods from the original patent filed in 1999
How To Make Marijuana Hash
Legalization efforts in the US over the past several years have increased the enthusiasm for hash. Making hash at home today is as easy as purchasing a few inexpensive ingredients from a hardware store. You can even purchase ready-made screens for dry extractions, presses for old school brick hash preparations, and even bags for water extractions, all online. marijuana wax hash
Check out our video above with Mark at Funky Skunk Extracts on how to make dry sift hash (lightly edited transcription follows).
Hash is a concentrated form of cannabis. We take the cannabinoids and separate them from the plant material using a dry sift method, which we then press into hash.
Our hash is different than BHO and other solvent-based extractions in that we don’t use a solvent. It’s entirely mechanical and uses different temperatures to extract the cannabinoids from the plant material.
- Start with properly cured frozen material. It’s important to get your temperature as low as possible because frozen trichomes will break off their stocks and separate from the plant material more easily.
- Once you get your material on the screen, start breaking it up and spreading it around; wax on, wax off.
- Dry sifting on a screen is a very delicate process. You’re not going for quantity, but quality, and expect a very low return. As long as you’re careful, it should be a very high quality.is hash marijuana
The dry ice method | marijuana hash recipe
- Combine your plant material with about 40% dry ice. Dry ice is five times cooler than regular ice, about -109°F. These super cold temperatures combined with friction caused by shaking the bag will cause the trichomes to break off their stocks and fall into the collection vessel below.
- The longer we shake, the more plant material will break up and make its way through the screen, contaminating your kief. This is why old school methods of making hash are as much of an art form as they are a science.
- It takes practice working with different strings to get the feel for the right time to stop. You want to maximize yield without sacrificing quality.
- When satisfied with the shake, it’s time to collect.
You can see the difference in quality between the two methods:
The dry sift is a beautiful golden color whereas the dry ice has been contaminate with some plant material, making it green.
Turning kief into hash | marijuana hash machine
- Fill up the hash press with kief (the traditional method is to wrap the kief in plastic
- and then in layers of wet newspaper,
- alternating between heating the brick slowly on a hot plate and rolling it with a rolling pin,
- sometimes for hours to achieve the correct consistency).
- Jack it up like you’re changing a tire, and in just a few minutes, you’re done.
- You can see by its dark and shiny surface that the trichomes have melted together.
we see the gooey Play-Doh consistency and the beautiful golden brown color that we’re looking for. blue hash marijuana